In the battle of rubble versus your auto glass, it might look like the glass has prevailed over, but the victory is not without its share of pinches. Those cracks that don’t look so prominent in the starting may soon begin to slither their way up to the entire windshield. And that’s something which all car enthusiasts would never want to face. Let alone the aesthetic appeal, these chips and cracks can cause the entire windshield shatter even in a fender bender or while going over a pothole. The windshield supports the car roof and helps in proper deployment of airbags in case of a collision. And when it breaks down, the roof is likely to collapse too, obstructing the proper positioning of the inflated airbags that are there to protect you and passengers.
So, it’s better to go for auto glass replacement than waiting for the unforeseen to happen, as soon as you notice these minor cracks on your auto glass.
Go for auto glass replacement when it’s beyond repair!
How to ascertain if the cracks can be mended by a simple repair or the auto glass will need replacement? It can save you a good deal of money if you know the right step to take the moment the crack happens. So, enrich your knowledge arsenal with relevant information and tips that can make it easier for you to tackle the situation:
- It depends on the size and location of the crack. Typically if the crack is smaller than 3 inches, it can be easily patched up. Modern technological inroads have also made it possible to fix a maximum of 12 inches. Considering the location of the crack is of the essence because it will determine how long it may take the glass to deteriorate. The cracks on edges will definitely spread quickly to other areas, causing the windshield to shatter sooner than usual.
- If the crack happens to hinder your line of sight when driving, the auto glass should be replaced instantly. In case of even an ounce of skepticism on whether or not the glass needs replacement, it’s always good to consult the professionals at the earliest.
- If yours is a commercial vehicle, the glass will need to be inspected with extreme care by experts who will then find an adequate replacement windshield as per the specifications.
How does the auto glass replacement work?
A credible auto replacement shop such as Speers Auto Glass will have a stock full of auto glass for most car makes, so you can get the glass replaced without any delay. You may have to wait for a few hours before you can drive the vehicle away to ensure the adhesive gets sufficient bonding time. When the adhesive is not properly dry and cured, it can lead to water getting under the top and loosening the seal, or cracking the auto glass when it freezes and expands in winter.
Beware of dodgy shops
Do not fall prey to those unreliable auto glass replacement shops who warrant a quick replacement without any consideration to the fact that the adhesive needs some time to set before the vehicle can be driven away. Subpar adhesives require a minimum of 8 hours in optimal conditions, and better quality ones need at least 3 hours. A professional installer who knows what he’s doing wouldn’t allow you to drive the vehicle prior to that.
In order to get your auto glass replaced reliably, make sure:
- You hire an auto glass shop recommended by people you trust.
- Inquire how long the agency has been in this business and steer clear of new operations.
- Ask how long you’re required to wait before driving the vehicle, and avoid using anyone who tells you less than three hours after the final installment.
Avail mobile auto glass replacement
When time is a constraint, take advantage of a mobile auto glass replacement wherein an experienced technician will visit your place and perform the job. There are plentiful auto shops that proffer mobile services 24/7, so make sure you obtain quotes from multiple places and then make a decision based on the reputation, experience, and availability of the required glass.
Need auto glass replacement near Hamilton in an emergency?
Speers Auto Glass is the place you can trust for your beloved car’s glass replacement in a reliable and professional manner. Our service is available on 24/7 basis, so feel free to contact us the moment you alight upon the glass damage, and we will be on our way to help you out!
Categorised in: Auto Glass Articles
This post was written by Speers Auto Glass Staff