You can ask a car enthusiast, full-time mechanic, or windshield replacement professional at Speers Auto Glass what your car needs to work its best, and they’ll all tell you the same thing: maintenance! Not all car maintenance schedules are the same, but all vehicles do require some measure of upkeep to keep up and running. This can be bad news for some among us; life obligations, budgetary constraints, and time crunches combine to make maintenance duties tough to carry out. Proper maintenance requires some level of prioritization and understanding, especially when there aren’t enough hours in the day, and that’s where our windshield replacement company can help. In this post, we discuss 5 of the top car maintenance mistakes a person can make, and explain what you can do to avoid them.
1. Ignoring the “check engine light.” This is a critical mistake that many people make. This light comes on when everything seems to be running smoothly, so it gets dismissed. Don’t make this mistake: it can cost you thousands!
- 2. Neglecting tire pressure checks. It can be easy to overlook pressure problems because tires will look properly inflated right up until they’re ready to fall off of your car. Looks can be deceiving! Low tire pressure typically translates to poor fuel economy, and in severe cases can even lead to auto accidents. Weather, potholes, and general wear and tear will all disrupt your tire pressure, so check regularly and stay safe.
- 3. Dismissing the TPMS light. This light is triggered by your tire pressure monitoring system, which comes on when one or more of your tires is deflated below the level manufacturers deem safe. If this light comes on, pull over and add air when possible. Sometimes this sensor goes haywire; if you notice it flicker on despite perfect tire pressure, it may be time to take your vehicle in for a closer look.
- 4. Failing to change your windshield wipers. Windshield wipers don’t last forever. They’ll start to slow, stutter, and streak your windshield as they degrade over time. Try to change your wipers as soon as they stop working at their best. Trust our windshield replacement experts: neglecting your wiper blades can have serious implications for the health and longevity of your windshield. A $40 replacement can save you big money on windshield replacement.
- 5. Using home glass cleaners to clean off the rear windshield. Though it seems pretty innocuous, using household cleaners on your windshield is a big problem. The real issue is the ingredients: household glass cleaners typically contain ammonia, which is caustic for your windshield’s heating elements. If you look closely at your rear windshield, you’ll be able to see thin lines running across it: these are the heating elements that help you defrost during the biting Burlington winter. When you use household glass cleaners, the ammonia breaks down these elements, weakening the integrity of your windshield and eliminating the valuable defrost function. Take it from the windshield replacement experts at Speers: this is bad news!
We hope that these car and windshield maintenance tips have come in handy. You can learn more about windshield replacement, repair, and maintenance by visiting our website at http://www.speersautoglass.ca/auto-glass-replacement.html. Alternately, you can speak with a representative from our team directly by calling 905-339-0339.
Categorised in: Auto Glass Articles
This post was written by Speers Auto Glass Staff